MongoDB VS Intersystems Cache Part 1 insert performance

While looking through stackoverflow I noticed an interesting question about the differences between Intersystems Cache and MongoDB.

Now these databases are substantially different in many respects, but both do allow for a more direct object mapping approach than you will normally experience in a standard SQL environment. Having read that MongoDB had recently secured $150M in financing I was curious as to what the platform was like.

Picking a database is never just about raw performance, but it is one of the most important aspects so I thought I would start with this aspect.

What I thought would be interesting would be to compare the insert performance of objects in Intersystems Cache VS the insert performance in MongoDB.

I took a very simple example, inserting 10,000 objects each with 3 properties, performed both tests 3 times on my laptop and averaged the results. There were no indexes defined. This is not exactly a great test but as Cache was significantly faster at doing this than MSSQL and MySQL in previous tests I thought I would be a good first look.

MongoDB - 0.436 seconds
Intersystems - 0.445 seconds

I then followed this up with a slightly larger 1,000,000 records.

MongoDB - 39.925 seconds
Intersystems - 43.445 seconds

Looks like they manage similar performance in respect to database inserts.

In part 2 I will look into query performance and more fundamental differences between the two NoSQL databases.

Comments

4W Tech said…
Nice blog!..
Thank you for sharing about MangoDB Vs Intersystems Caché.
Intersystems Programming

Popular posts from this blog

IE9 Intranet compatibility mode in Intranet websites

User Interface Usability Checklist Part 2

Procedural VS Object Oriented